Saturday, June 23, 2012

Drive-Ins: (Almost) Gone, But Never Forgotten

One of the places I remember the most fondly growing up was the drive-in.  The Woodward Park Drive-In, off of Blackstone, close to the 41.  It seemed like every weekend my family and I would go there and watch a movie.  Sometimes it would be my dad, Dennis, my brother, Aaron, and I would go.  Sometimes my brother and I would bring some friends.

There's just something cool about a drive-in.  Yes, sit down theaters are cool too.  But drive-ins have a cool atmosphere.  You can roll down the windows of your car and let the cool breeze in.  You could stretch out in the backseat while you watch the movie.  My favorite thing to do was to watch the other movies playing.  I remember my brother and I would go to the bathroom or to the snack bar.  We would see a horror movie playing that our parents wouldn't let us see.  We would then try and watch it for a few moments before our parents would come and look for us.

The price was amazing.  $5 per car.  You try and go see a movie now, and it's $7, and that's during the matinee at most places.  I think some drive-ins even had double features.  I think there are some drive-ins around.  I'm not sure where, I'd love to go to one.  Hey, here's an idea: Instead of building more Starbucks, Wal Marts, or Costcos, let's build more drive-ins.  It's time drive-ins made a come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment